About Our School » General Information

General Information

Bassett Adult School/Erwin Campus
943 N. Sunkist Ave., La Puente, CA 91746
Telephone: (626) 931-3106, (626) 931-3104

Office Hours
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 11:00 am

Counseling Hours
Monday & Wednesday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm & 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Tuesday & Thursday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm & 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Admission / Enrollment Information
Anyone eighteen years or older may enroll in adult education classes. Registration is on a space-available basis and is determined at the time of enrollment. Selected classes will require an assessment and orientation session prior to registering. The following priorities are used if more are interested in enrolling than can be accommodated: 1) adults residing in the district; 2) adults residing in other districts.

How to Register
Enroll in person at our Erwin Campus main office, or register online for selected classes. www.bassettadultschool.com

Registration & Instructional Material Fees
Registration fees can only be taken in cash. Please bring exact change. Some classes may require an additional fee for instructional materials.

Purchase of Textbooks
Books may be purchased online at www.bassett.textbookx.com or www.cengagebrain.com/micro/bassettesl

Class Size
Classes which do not meet the 18 student minimum requirement may be canceled.

Childcare is available for Bassett Adult School students only while attending class. Childcare is available Monday through Thursday at no cost to the student.

The adult school does not carry accident insurance for students nor for the children of the students.

Financial Assistance
Bassett Adult School provides information that may qualify students to participate in financial assistance through the TAA/TRA, EDD/ETPL and WIA. Veterans and Reservists may qualify for grants.

Bassett Adult School is approved by the State of California Approving Agency to offer Veteran Education Benefits. New student orientations are held every Wednesdays at 10 am.

Discrimination Policy
Bassett Adult School, in compliance with civil rights legislation, hereby asserts that it does note discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, age, or handicap in its employment or enrollment in any education program.

Dress Code
Students are encouraged to dress comfortably. Shoes and shirt are required. Inappropriate dress includes clothing marked with profane or suggestive language, clothing marked with sexual, racial or ethnic slurs, gang clothing or any clothing which exposes private areas of the body. Caps are permitted outside of the classroom. Students violating the dress code will be asked to leave and return dressed appropriately.

Brochure Disclaimer
Information in this brochure was accurate at the time of publication. Changes may have occurred subsequently. Some programs and times subject to change.

District Computer Policy Usage
Bassett Adult School students may be asked to complete an Acceptable Use Policy for District Computer Systems during class to ensure security and reliability of our systems and to prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful activities by users online.

Student Grievance/Uniform Complaint Procedure
Students are urged to discuss the issue first with the school administrator, in an informal conference. If the problem is not satisfactorily resolved at the informal level, the district has established procedures to resolve alleged violations of state/federal funded programs. These procedures require the complainant to submit a written form [1312.I-E(a)] to Ms. French, Human Resource, Bassett Unified School District.

You may also contact the Council on Occupational Education at 7840 Roswell Road, Building 300, Suite 325, Atlanta GA 30350 at 1(800) 917-2081 or fax (770) 396-3790.

Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment by employee or student will not be tolerated. The governing board considers sexual harassment to be a major offense which can result in disciplinary action of the offending employee or suspension or expulsion of students. For more information, please refer to our Student Handbook.

Bassett Adult School is a SMOKE-FREE campus.

Refund Policy
Bassett Adult School has a fair and equitable refund policy for the refund of tuition fees in the event that the class is canceled or the student does not plan to attend. The following procedures are established as part of this policy:

1. Registration fees are non-refundable.

2. Refunds for classes or programs canceled by Bassett Adult School: If fees are collected in advance of the start date of the program, 100 percent of the fees collected will be refunded within 45 days of the planned start date of the class or program canceled. No written notice by the student is required.

3. Refunds for students who withdraw on or before the first day of class: if fees are collected in advance of the start date of a program, and the student does not begin class or withdraws on the first day of the class, the fees collected will be refunded, less a $25 drop fee. Appropriate refunds for a student who does not begin classes are made within 45 days of the class start date.
4. Refunds for a student enrolled prior to visiting the institution: students who have not visited Bassett Adult School campus prior to enrollment will have the opportunity to withdraw without penalty within three days following attendance at the regularly scheduled orientation or following a tour of the facilities and inspection of the equipment.

5. Refunds for withdrawal after class commences: No refund after the second class session.

6. A receipt is required for all refunds. The policy is in alignment with our Accrediting Association and/or U.S. Department of Education standards.
Transfer Policy within Bassett Adult School Programs
English as a Second Language (ESL):
Transfers within the ESL programs are at the instructor's discretion. Students and instructors discuss the transfer in regards to their academic and career needs as well as goals. Additionally, the instructor will consult the student's progress before recommending the transfer. 
High School Diploma (HSD):
Potential students transferring into BAS's Adult Basic Education or High School Diploma courses must be approved by the high school counselor.  Students make an appointment with the front office to see the counselor.  Upon the appointment, students take an entrance exam and discuss their academic and career goals, along with official transcripts, with the counselor who upon her evaluation decides which course better suits the student's needs. 
Career Technical Education (CTE):
Student transfers within BAS must be approved by the program specialist or program manager. If the student is receiving assistance from an agency or is a participant in a government-sponsored program, the student may need to get permission from that agency or program. Once approved, a new registration form is completed. The student must provide the completed registration form to the program specialist and/or manager prior to entering the program.
Transfer Credits Earned at Another Institution
English as a Second Language (ESL): 
Students take the CASAS assessment to determine their appropriate level.  The ESL department is not on a credit basis.
High School Diploma (HSD):
New students are required to bring in their official transcripts upon meeting with the high school counselor.  The transcripts should be from an accredited institution and should be sealed in order to be considered official.  Transcripts from outside the U.S. will also be considered and relevant coursework to BAS's required credits will be issued.
Career Technical Education (CTE):
Any new student enrolling in a BAS CTE programs (that accepts transfer students) and wishing to transfer credits for courses completed at a different school must make an appointment to meet with the CTE program manager or program specialist to review previous coursework. BAS cannot guarantee transferability of course credits.
Transferring Credits to Another Institution
English as a Second Language (ESL): 
Students usually cannot transfer their progress from one institution to another. 
High School Diploma (HSD):
Upon emailed or in-person request (for more information see here), the counselor can issue official and unofficial transcripts to the student. The transcripts can be used at other post-secondary institutions.  The other post-secondary institutions will issue credits based on their own policies and procedures.
Career Technical Education (CTE):
Normally, a post-secondary institution evaluates work completed by the undergraduate transfer student in terms of its relationship to the course offerings and degree requirements of the said institution.  The institution will then grant credits for pertinent subjects that have been completed in a satisfactory manner. However, transfer students must realize that each institution sets its own requirements in the matter of specific courses and retains the final approval of courses accepted for transfer from BAS.